Lombardi's Pizza (NYC) 8 Slices out of 8

Tonight was the perfect Gotham night as described in novels from yesteryear.  It was raining steady and from inside my cab the droplets that formed on the outside of my window with condensation on the inside made the streets a blur. Like one of those movies where nothing is making sense. Looking up once outside the cab I could see the fog line slowly engulfing the building tops illuminated by the lights below. Faceless people hurrying buy shielding themselves from the rain. Tonight it was the Gotham of legend.

I found myself in the city after meeting with two clients who are having there event in Fort Lauderdale. Following the meeting there was one place I had to go:

Lombardi's Pizza  8 out of 8
www.firstpizza.com
32 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012-4173
(212) 941-7994


Lombardi's is to Pizza in America what the colosseum in Rome is gladiator fighting. This is the first Pizzeria on American soil so claims Lombardi's. You walk in and it's totally a "joint" from a by gone era. The hard wood floors, the red and white checkered table clothes, the red brick walls and the painted over tin ceiling and louie Prima playing on the Stereo; all these elements play into the whole experience putting you on the perfect set. If your a Pizza lover and especially if you grew up city italian you will feel right at home with the back drop of this Pizzeria. It beckons to a time gone bye. You could easily imagine Sinatra walking in and say "Hey Mac, give me one of those pie's I love you know the one I always get and a table in the corner over there, and make it snappy 'cause I ain't  got all night"

Lombardi's boast of it coal oven which is the hottest of ovens. With intense heat Pizza cooks very quick and I can tell you even the the place was packed my pie came out in 10 minutes flat.

Evenly cooked with burnt marks on the bottom! (At's the way ya want it!)

The pizza was real good. It was thin crust crispy with a crunch in every bight accompanied with a chewy center, the sauce was fresh and tangy, the mozzarella was thin and fresh not shredded, there was however a lack of basil on the pie which for me seemed really absent. This being said,  the back drop of being at Lombardi's certainly goes a long way. It's really good pizza, however I don't feel that it will leave me craving for it tomorrow. I surely will return someday however I'm in no hurry.


Stay Tuned..



Lombardi's Pizza Very Good







Well done as it should be, coal cooks hot!



Crisp on the outside chewing on the inside!



Bubbles always the sign of a hot oven!




Comments