Restaurant San Nicola in Paoli, Pennsylvania. Come on Chef you've been in the USA too Long!

Ok rarely do I deviate from Pizza but tonight I will:

For years this has been one of my fav restaurants. I've always only ordered two things, their Tuscan bean soup which they plate at the table and their veal involtini. Both amazing and I highly recommend you try them both. So since I've been there more times that I could count and never deviated from my two dishes, tonight I decided to venture out and try another dish, after all the Chef was born in italy! The result was a mess, and it pains me a great deal to say this. FIRST things first you don't bury your pasta in Sauce. Game Over. With this fact alone I feel embolden to speak because the chef is from italy! (Mi Dispiace Chef)

Had this been the case the pasta might have been quite good but the crepe lasagna was over cooked or more like it was cooked prior and sitting a bit. I also ordered the Cannelloni, what? I'm a bit crazy when it comes to italian food! What do I know? I've been to italy about 50 times and my cousin always makes my favorite pastas including crepe lasagna. I was bit depressed that the kitchen would let this out to serve to a customer since I've been a big fan of this place. I will still gladly patronize this place and I still recommend the veal and the soup they are amazing, just stay clear of the Lasagna and Cannelloni! Italian cooking is based on simply fresh ingredients. I'm not super religious but let's just say god does the work and italians just assemble it in the kitchen. I know it must be really difficult to run a restaurant but I want you to note I have metrics I go by not just a random opinion. 


For example I judge pasta on a few things:

1. If they say it's fresh it better not be dry pasta (check Fresh)

2. Pasta should always be al dente (over cooked)

3. Sauce of any kind should be applied sparingly. (Drowned)

4. Of course the flavor of the sauce (Very Good)

5. Overy taste (Very Good)


I Seriously look at this! What's next Spaghetti and Meatballs? (Spoiler alert: They don't server Spaghetti and Meatballs together in italy unless a tourist restaurant)






On a final note: Theresa the server is wonderful. Pretty much has a photographic memory. She remembered what I ordered and asked if I was getting the veal and the soup. Great service!


Comments